Monday, February 11, 2008

My First Online Advocacy Campaign to End Class Early

Tonight I launched a petition to persuade Professor Rosenblatt to let us leave class early on Wednesday, February 13, so for those of us interested we can go to a lecture by Ron Paul. My strategy will be three fold to get out the vote:

1) Monday, February 11: I sent a blanket email to to my constinuents. My primary target were my peers in CCTP 697, who are directly affected by the conflict. My secondary audience were the Internet Politics students in our sister-class at American University.

2) Monday, February 11 - Wednesday, February 13: Using secondary networked communication tools, I will try to convince three of my friends to take action. First, I called Kristin Smith to ask her to support the cause through a direct one-to-one conversation. Secondly, I went onto Facebook and sent messages to Kristin, Sean, and Jenna. Since timeliness of action will be critical for this campaign to work, trying to reach these "influentials" will be critical for my campaign. I targeted these three people as I have prior relationships with all three and I know that they can bring in 1-2 more votes each.

3) Wednesday, February 13: I will bring a laptop into class on Wednesday and set up a sign outside of the class before it starts to canvas students who have not taken action yet. I will create a sign and have hard copies of my petition to hand out.

I am not sure but I also think that I have a friend in the AU class. If so, I will try to reach her offline to make her into a "connector" so I can get access to the rest of the AU students.

I set a goal of ten students, which will be a consensus. Our ask isn't very large, so I am confident that with support we can get Professor Rosenblatt to cut the class short. Lastly, I also provided an incentive for the constinuents to take action as I offered to buy the first pitcher of beer at The Tombs for anyone interested in grabbing a drink after the Ron Paul event.

In-case you missed my email or received this in your RSS feed first, please take action to request that class ends 15 minutes early on Wednesday at:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/819781831

Stay tuned, to hear more about the success of this campaign later in the week and my comments about the Ron Paul event!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]