Thursday, April 17, 2008

Interface, Class Reading, and the Colbert Bump

Senator Hillary Clinton just made an appearance on The Colbert Report. Instead of an interview they had a staged back-and-forth act, which was amusing. It was a short-stop through but was great!

I reviewed some of the Interface book but really didn't find value in reading it, so instead of offering the full book review, I am opting to write instead about a recommendation to strengthen future classes.

Yesterday's candid conversation about the class was important to bring up my motivation to write this blog post. I echo Sean's comment that the class should offer more practical tools and less theory. The vast majority of the readings, besides possibly the MoveOn book and some of the IPDI reviews, offered solely theory. As an "Online Politics" course I hoped to learn more about practice and not just go over some of the available freeware tools. That's why I liked Michael Bassic's presentation. He showed us how a leading firm does targeted advertising.

So my general thought with the required readings was that it was too much. Part of the reason that I couldn't read Interface was that it was given to us while we needed to write our final papers. I admit that we could have spread some of the 600 page reading over the course of the semester, but as we had a week to read all of the other books, it was not possible. The vast majority of us are full-time workers and part-time students. We look at college as a second job and take it very seriously because we are spending money out of our pockets to attend. I read every page of every book and assigned reading up until Interface. I may still read Interface after the class concludes but to juggle reading a book a week, my work requirements, and my other school responsibilities...their was no way to adaquately offer the time needed to read a 600 page book of something that's just more theory.

I was able to attend all but the last two weeks of classes and that's because of work. The first class I missed was due to a report that I was pushing at my job. We released it on the day of class and due to my work we received over 250 press hits. The next week I was asked by my CEO to do the communication and PR for an event that brought Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Chairman George Miller, House Committee on Education & Labor, Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA), Rep. Doris Matsui (D-CA), Ambassador Alan Holmer, and U.S. Trade Representative Sue Schwabb. I've lobbied in the past, attended high-profile events but this was def. the most effective boost of PR that I've witnessed with key constinuents. Within hours from the event, I had added over 100 photos that I took onto Flickr. Within 24 hours, I had a recap of the event linked on our homepage.

So...off track, Senator John Edwards just showed up on the Colbert Report too. This has been a great show! He just said that he will support any candidate that makes him a spy, because that would be cool. I haven't seen Edwards in awhile so this is great getting him out again. Edwards is now doing the word of the day too.

It's late, I'm tired, I am done ranting. Bring on the Pennsylvania vote for my next blog post!

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]